It is notable for its ability to soothe the other members of the Weather trio, when angered. Rayquaza is capable of using various powerful elemental attacks that it shoots from its mouth. Rayquaza can negate the effects of the weather. Since Rayquaza is a Dragon-type Pokémon, it can learn Draco Meteor.
Rayquaza constantly flies around the globe in the ozone layer, stopping and descending only to land on the peak of the Sky Pillar to rest. It is extremely territorial and will attack any intruders of its home. Due to the fact that it can calm the other members of its trio, it can be seen to be considered a leader and calm.
- In Pokémon Emerald, Rayquaza appears to use Hyper Voice to calm down Groudon and Kyogre at Sootopolis. Rayquaza couldn't learn it in any Generation III game, but this was rectified in HeartGold and SoulSilver versions.
- Rayquaza has the highest Attack and Special Attack of all Flying-type Pokémon.
- Rayquaza has the highest Attack of all Dragon-type Pokémon, tied with Zekrom, and the highest Special Attack of all Dragon-type Pokémon, tied with Palkia, Dialga and Reshiram.
- Rayquaza is the tallest legendary Pokémon.
- Out of the weather trio, it is the only one with a secondary type.