The Pokémon Company International and Niantic, Inc. are excited to announce today’s launch of the long-awaited mobile game Pokémon GO, which is now available for download at no cost on the App Store and Google Play. Pokémon GO is currently available in the United States, Australia and New Zealand, and will be coming soon to Canada, Europe and South America.
In Pokémon GO, players around the globe will explore their surroundings to find and catch wild Pokémon hiding in their midst. Some wild Pokémon appear in their native environments—for example, Water-type Pokémon may appear near lakes and oceans. Once players have encountered a Pokémon, they can catch it by using their smartphone’s touch screen to throw a Poké Ball. Poké Balls and other special items can be found at PokéStops located at interesting places, such as public art installations, historical markers and monuments.
Pokémon GO’s features include:
- Catch Pokémon: Pokémon GO invites players to step outside, walk around and catch wild Pokémon. As players increase in level, they’ll be able to catch more-powerful Pokémon and gain access to more-powerful items. While working to complete the Pokédex, players will be able to evolve Pokémon by catching multiples of the same species and can even find Pokémon Eggs which hatch after a player walks a specific distance. Players are encouraged to keep exploring and encountering the many different Pokémon needed to complete the Pokédex!
- Join a Team and Battle: Players can join one of three teams, Mystic, Instinct or Valor and assign Pokémon they have caught to an open Pokémon Gym location or to a Gym claimed by a fellow team member. Teams must battle against the defending Pokémon in their rival teams’ Gyms to lower a Gym’s Prestige and claim the Gym for their own team. Cooperation amongst team members is important in securing as many Gyms as possible.
- Share the Fun: Activate the camera feature to take photos of Pokémon encountered in the world. With their real-life surroundings providing a backdrop for these photos, players will be able to share these memorable moments with their friends.
- Customize the Trainer Avatar: Players can choose from a range of apparel and accessories to match their in-game avatar with their personal style. The customized avatar will appear on the map as players move around, as well as on their profile page. Trainer’s avatars will also appear in Gyms under their team’s control.
- Soundtrack by Junichi Masuda: Pokémon GO will feature all-new music composed by GAME FREAK’s Junichi Masuda. Mr. Masuda has worked on Pokémon video games since the very first games and has composed many of the classic and memorable songs that have inspired fans for decades.
In-app purchases will be available for players who would like to enhance their Pokémon GO experience. Players can purchase PokéCoins, the in-game currency of Pokémon GO, which can then be exchanged for power-ups and extra items.
The Pokémon GO Plus device is a portable accessory that will enable Pokémon GO players to enjoy the game even while they’re not looking at their smartphones. This optional device connects to a smartphone via Bluetooth and notifies the player about events in the game using an LED and vibration. In addition, players can catch Pokémon or perform other simple actions by pressing the button on the device.